Thursday 19 February 2015

Real-time Monitoring of our own Energy Levels

     Except for pretty major "ups" or "downs", I suspect most of us remain remarkably unaware of our own energy levels - we have no moment-to-moment readout on our own vitality. Yet it's practical as well as intriguing.
     It's useful for maintaining physical health. Over the past year or so, I've become able to feel a sudden, remarkable drop in energy - like an electric appliance being unplugged - at the earliest onset of a common cold or flu. When this happens, I immediately make sure I take it easy, get extra sleep, and take vitamin C. Presumably due to this unusually early response, I often feel fine again within 24hrs. Sadly, many people allow themselves to become "run down" irreversibly, probably with little or no awareness as it's happening.
     On a deeper, mindfulness practice level, it's fascinating to observe how I assign a value or judgment to a person or event, instantly followed by feeling a corresponding increase or decrease in energy. I clearly see how preferences are arbitrary, yet significantly impact my quality of life. I'm thus learning, more or less while it's happening, to hold my preferences and other aspects of conditioning much more lightly. Sadly, most people incorrectly assume that external factors directly determine the quality of their lives, while they themselves are powerless victims.
     Closely monitoring and deeply understanding the causes of energy fluctuations has mundane to illuminating dimensions. Becoming increasingly mindful - nonjudgmentally aware - of our physical, emotional and energetic dimensions is a profoundly healthy practice.

     Basic Energy Choices: http://mindfulnessforeveryone.blogspot.ca/2015/02/643-choosing-our-energy.html



Srimanta Ray, National Geographic   http://photography.nationalgeographic.com

No comments:

Post a Comment